Sunday, July 17, 2011

Experimental Pasta

I'm new to balsamic vinegar.  I mean, I've enjoyed it in restaurants, but I've never bought a bottle or cooked with it...until tonight!  I'd just seen a cooking show featuring pasta cabonara but wanted to mix in the sweetness from the balsamic, so I gathered up a few ingredients that seemed compatible and began to play with my food.


-4 strips of leftover turkey bacon
-1 serving of whole-wheat thin spaghetti
-2 quick splashes of balsamic
-1/4 cup of diced tomato
-1 minced garlic clove
-a few spoonfuls of crumbled feta cheese

I boiled the pasta while I chopped and warmed the bacon, as well as diced the tomato and minced the garlic.  When the pasta was cooked and drained I threw it in a bowl and added all of my prepped ingredients, plus a few drizzles of balsamic and some spoonfuls of feta.  The taste came out pretty well, but I was surprised at how quickly the balsamic was absorbed into the pasta.  I was afraid it would be in a puddle in the bottom of my bowl!  I added maybe a teaspoon and a half of olive oil and stirred it in with some cracked black pepper and a quick crack of sea salt.  Pretty nice pasta!



(Yes, that's edamame in the background.  Just call it an international dinner. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment